Saturday, August 22, 2015

Dahlia Interview Transcript

Dahlia
Questions:
  1. How do you identify yourself, religiously?
I identify myself as an Israelite, a follower of YHWH and believer of Yeshua (Jesus)
  1. What is your relationship status?
I have been married to my husband for eight years.
  1. What, if any, questions do you have before we commence the interview? 
No
  1. What is your general reaction to what you listened to?
I would have to say that I was mostly confused (not from lack of knowledge but from never hearing this stance before) listening to this podcast.
  1. Do you believe women are unable to understand men, and therefore unable to judge their actions?
I do not believe that women are unable to understand men.  I do believe that we should not judge men, or any person for that matter, but it is not from a lack of understanding.
  1. React to the statement, “women are a possession”.
- Genesis 2:18 (KJV) - 18 And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. - ʻêzer, ay'-zer; from H5826; aid:—help ( My opinion is that a woman is not there to be possessed but to help)
  1. How do sex slaves, like Bilhah and Zilpah, prevent “the lust of the world”?
  2. How do you define “love”?
I define love as a respect for one another.  I respect my son and he respects me, we love one another.  I respect my husband and he respects me, we love one another.  I respect my pastor and his wife and they respect me, we love one another.
  1. Does love create crippling, unmanly weakness in men?
This was something that I was confused about during this podcast.  I do not believe that my husband has a crippling, unmanly weakness because he loves me.  Does YHWH love the people of Israel?
  1. React “the American woman is the enemy of a man”.
I do believe that this statement is too broad of one to make.  As not all “American” women are the same.  Just as not all “Cubans,” “Europeans,” “Koreans,” “Catholics,” “Christians,” or even “Israelites,” are the same.  There are some factions/sects of every religion or culture that can become the face or the “standard” for an entire group and to label an entire group based on your perception of said group is a judgement that I don’t believe you should pass.
  1. From this podcast, what is a “Biblical” marriage?
I felt that this podcast defined Biblical marriage as one where the man is in possession of his wife.
  1. From this podcast, what makes a man? What makes a woman?
  2. What makes a good marriage?
I believe that a good marriage is one where there is respect for both people.  Men and women are not created to be equals but are valuable in making a marriage work.  
  1. How does your marriage work?
My husband and I have a mutual respect for one another.  We both have roles that are more “gender specific” in that my husband works to provide for our family financially, where I work on keeping the household up. This includes me educating our child (and future children) as well as maintain a comfortable home for my husband and family to enjoy.  We work together as one could not do without the other. I am able to stay home from work because my husband provides and I am able to make sure that what my husband provides supports and maintains our household by not living outside of our means.
  1. How do you think this makes Israelites appear to non-Israelites?
As I stated in question 10, to pass judgement on an entire group based on one person’s/group’s beliefs is a judgement I don’t believe we should pass.  That being said, I can see how many people could be turned away from a religious sect based on the podcast heard tonight.  
  1. Any closing thoughts/comments?
A few of thoughts that I had during the podcast were as follows:  If there should be no romance, why then would an entire book of the Bible be devoted to the subject (i.e. Songs of Solomon)?  Also, in Genesis 2:24 it states that two (man and woman) become one. If you are a part of that man, how then would you become his property/possession? Lastly, if wives are property and are being compared to slaves, which was stated in the podcast, do wives then have an opportunity to leave their husbands on the seventh year of marriage as long as they have not awled their ears as stated in the Torah?   These are some questions/thoughts that I will also discuss further with my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment